“If I could say it in words there would be no reason to paint ”- Edward Hopper
Oil paint is widely used both in traditional and in contemporary fine art painting. During this class students will learn about oil paint and oil painting techniques. This class will introduce elements of color, form and composition through the act of painting. Over the course of the semester students will become comfortable with creating strong compositions, underpainting, identifying strong color palettes, and the basics of color mixing.
Please bring to the first day of class: a canvas (larger than 14” x 14”), 5 reference photographs printed in color on 8.5 x 11 paper (one per page), and a #2 pencil. The canvas should be stretched onto stretcher bars and primed like the one seen here: http://www.dickblick.com/products/blick-premier-cotton-canvas/
You can select any shape and size which inspires you. No smaller than 14″ x 14″ please!
Note: We will go over the other materials in the first class together! Feel free to start to gather the materials if you feel comfortable doing so. If you are taking class with a friend, or a few friends, you can share your paints to cut the cost! You can also pair up with someone the first day if you like.
- Canvas (larger than 14” x 14”)
- Walnut oil (NO TURPENTINE OR SOLVENTS)
- Glass container with lid for oil (small glass jar or something of this nature)
- Brushes (a few different shapes and sizes, this is personal preference)
- Palette box with palette
- Paint: with these colors you will be able to mix just about anything! Alizarine Crimson, Cadmium Yellow, Yellow Ocher, Cadmium Red, Cerulean Blue, Ultramarine, Titanium White (large tube), Magenta.
- Palette knife (optional)
- February 21, 2017 - May 9, 2017
|MIT Undergraduate Student||$140.00 (USD)||Sold Out|
|MIT Graduate Student||$140.00 (USD)||Sold Out|
|MIT Faculty or Staff||$240.00 (USD)||Sold Out|
|MIT Spouse/Alum||$240.00 (USD)||Sold Out|
|Friend of MIT||$340.00 (USD)||Sold Out|
|Friend of MIT + cost of MIT Access Card||$360.00 (USD)||Sold Out|
"SP17 Tuesday Intro to Oil Painting" is currently sold out.
Please email Stacy to add your name to the waitlist.