“If I could say it in words there would be no reason to paint.” Edward Hopper
This class is designed to accommodate intermediate students (beginners are always welcome). This class provides and an opportunity to sharpen basic skills while furthering student’s conceptual knowledge and experience with materials. Students will be encouraged to experiment with new painting surfaces and to expand their palette. Relevant artists will be discussed in relationship to students’ work.
Casual group critiques will be scheduled during the semester, as they are important to both personal growth and to fostering a creative community within our class! Additionally there will likely be an opportunity for students to show work in an SAA spring painting show in the weisner gallery.
Note: It is recommended to first take the intro classes, but this class can be tailored for a beginner student if needed! Please email Nicole for more details.
- Canvas (larger than 14” x 14”)
- Linseed oil or another equivalent (NO TURPENTINE OR SOLVENTS)
- Oil container (small glass jar or something of this nature
- Brushes (a few different shapes and sizes, this is personal preference)
- Palette box with palette
- Paint: with these colors you will be able to mix just about anything! Alizarine Crimson, Cadmium Yellow, Yellow Ocher, Cadmium Red, Cerulean Blue, Ultramarine, Titanium White (large tube), Magenta.
- Palette knife
MIT Students: $140 | MIT Staff & Affiliates: $240 | Not Affiliated with MIT: $340
This class has been closed for the semester. The next session at the Student Art Association will begin in June 2016, please check back at a later date for class offerings and registration.