“The object of art is not to reproduce reality, but to create a reality of the same intensity.” –Alberto Giacometti
This class is designed to accommodate intermediate students (beginners also are welcome) and will provide and an opportunity to sharpen and build on basic painting skills while furthering the students’ conceptual knowledge. Students will be encouraged to experiment with different painting surfaces and paint types, as well as to expand their color palette. Relevant artists will be looked to as inspiration. Casual group critiques may be scheduled during the semester, as they are important to both personal growth and to fostering a creative community!
Note: It is recommended to first take the introduction to oil painting class. However, the intermediate class can be tailored for a beginner student if/when needed! Please email Nicole for more details.
- Canvas or painting surface (larger than 14×14”)
- Walnut Alkyd Medium (NO TURPENTINE OR SOLVENTS)
- Oil container (small glass jar or something of this nature)
- Brushes (a few different shapes and sizes, this is personal preference)
- Palette box with a palette
- Paint: (with these colors you will be able to mix just about anything!) Alizarine Crimson, Cadmium Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Cadmium Red, Cerulean Blue, Ultramarine, Viridian Green, Titanium White (large tube) and Magenta.
- Palette knife
September 20, 2017 - October 31, 2017