Day/Time: 10 Wednesdays starting February 16, 4:30-7:00pm
There is no class March 23.
Location: SAA 2D Studio (W20-425)
Instructor: Amanda Hawkins
This course provides an introduction to the process of oil painting. The first class will be a comprehensive exploration into the paint itself: color mixing, medium exploration, and mark making. Each of the following classes will examine a different process of painting with simple subject matter. Through sequential exercises, the student will gain both technical skills and confidence in their ability to represent various subject matter through paint.
Required Materials (we will review how to use these materials during our first class)
● Walnut oil (NO TURPENTINE OR SOLVENTS)
● Silicoil Brush Clean Jar ( Can be found here )
● Brushes (a few different shapes and sizes, this is personal preference)
● Palette Knife
● Palette box with palette (size 12×16 or similar recommended)
● Plastic Gloves
● Paper towels
● HB Pencil
● Paint: Quinacridone Magenta, Napthol Red, Cadmium Yellow Light, Yellow Ochre, Ultramarine Blue, Phthalo Blue (green shade), Titanium White
● Supports: (2) canvases, size 14×18, (5) supports, sized 8×8 or similar*
* These supports can be canvas, gessoed panel, or oil paper. We will review all options in class and you can decide which to proceed with. You will not need these additional supports until the latter weeks of class.
Materials can be purchased at Artist and Craftsman Supply and Blick Art, both in Central Square.
February 16, 2022 - May 14, 2022
4:30 pm - 11:55 pm