Day/Time: 10 Wednesdays starting September 22, 7:30-10:00pm
There is no class November 24.
Location: SAA 2D Studio (W20-425)
Instructor: Nancy Hart
“The object of art is not to reproduce reality, but to create a reality of the same intensity.” ~Alberto Giacometti
This class is designed to accommodate intermediate students, and will provide an opportunity to sharpen basic painting skills while furthering conceptual knowledge and experience with materials. Students will be encouraged to experiment with different painting surfaces and paint types, as well as to expand their color palette and process. Relevant artists will be looked to as inspiration. Casual group critiques may be scheduled during the semester, as they are important to both personal growth and to fostering a creative community within the class!
Students will work with individual subjects such as still life, patterns, landscape, simple portraiture and abstraction and individual choices.
Note: It is recommended to first take the intro class or an outside equivalent. Please email instructor for more details or with questions.
- Canvas or painting surface
- Walnut Alkyd Medium or equivalent (NO TURPENTINE, mineral spirits or traditional solvent paint thinner) http://www.dickblick.com/products/m-graham-walnut-alkyd-medium/
- Oil container (small glass jar or something of this nature
- Brushes (a few different shapes and sizes, this is a personal preference)
- Palette box with a palette & knife
- Paint: with these colors you will be able to mix just about anything! Alizarine Crimson, Cadmium Yellow, Yellow Ocher, Cadmium Red, Cerulean Blue, Ultramarine, Viridian Green, Titanium White (large tube), and Magenta.
- After the canvas stretching demonstration, if desired please purchase: one yard of unprimed cotton canvas (7 or 10 oz.) and four stretcher bars (two 14″ long and two 12″, medium duty).
September 22, 2021 - December 18, 2021
7:30 pm - 11:55 pm